Sunday, May 21, 2006

My first entry

There is nothing more ironic than prom.
I attend a small private school. We have a total of about 100 students, but this total fluctuates frequently because a good number of our students go on exchange to foreign countries, including Germany, Peru, and France. Because our school is so small, prom is open to everyone. I am a sophomore and I went to prom for the first time last night. I wasn't impressed. the decorations were beautiful and on the elaborate end of the scale. This year's theme being "Les Lumieres a Paris" they included tiny little candles almost everywhere and a huge model of the Eiffel Tower. This was probably the best part. I arrived to find that only four of my classmetes were there (this was about 8:15 p.m.) and all of them (as far as I could tell) were high. Prom may be a special night, but it still takes place in school, and while I personally don't care who gets high where, I would prefer it not be around me or at my school. You don't do that, it's immature, not to mention illegal. So as more people began to arrive, their reactions ranged from non-chalant to enraged at the aforementioned students who took drugs and messed up prom. Eventually these people were simply ignored.
Until about nine o'clock there was a jazz combo playing, and afterwards there was a dj. The music was passable. The oddest thing about the dancing was that when I was out on the dance floor (not very large) I kept noticing couples that I didn't recognize. It's one thing to see someone you know dancing with someone you don't. The case would probably be that they have a boyfriend or girlfriend who attends another school and since everyone from our school attending prom is allowed to bring up to two guests, such a scenario is conceivable. But if i see a pair of people I don't know, I must assume that someone invited a couple of friends and then either was abandoned by them or vice-versa. That's kinda weird.
Those are pretty much my main impressions on prom. It wasn't a very memorable experience, but not a bad one, either.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home