Saturday, June 24, 2006

Books

Erin and I went out for breakfast yesterday. It was fun, and of course we talked about books. Actually it wasn't really at breakfast that we talked about books. It was later, at starbucks, over coffee and pomegranate soda that we discusses books.
She made a good point. It is sometimes difficult to read books that are to realistic. Especially depressing ones. Abusive boyfriends, people with eating disorders, holocaust historical fiction stories, and just generally slightly angsty teen novels. These, however are like a drug to me. It wasn't exactly an intentional addiction (are there any?), and I didn't admit that I even was addicted to them until recently. I realized that as I tried to read books that are classics and such I was "rewarding myself" with the thought of being able to read a teen fiction book when I finished Anna Karenina or some other book. Not that I didn't enjoy Anna Karenina. On the contrary, I loved it. As much as one can love a book of that caliber. But after it, I felt relieved reading Jane Eyre. Not an easy read in itself, but a much faster story. So I began reading multiple books at once. Usually one "classic", maybe two, a teen fiction novel, sometimes a biography, maybe some poetry, a fantasy book, recommended by Chloe or my mom, and a contemporary or adult fiction. For example, currently I am reading: Emma, Mating Season, The Au Pairs: Skinny Dipping, Keeping the Moon, and The Devil Wears Prada. Oh, and I just finished 13 Little Blue Envelopes.
So, apparently it's not only teen fiction I'm addicted to. And, unlike a drug addict, my "dealer" doesn't charge anything.
But now if Emma becomes too tedious (Jane Austen's writing's fabulous, but Emma is so real, she sometimes gets on my nerves.), I can simple switch over to Keeping the Moon. Too depressing (Sarah Dessen can get that way)? Switch to The Devil Wears Prada. It is a fail-proof plan.
I sound ridiculous.
I know it, and that's the first step, right?
So there are some fabulous fireworks going on outside right now, and I'd not like to miss any more of them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home